Friday, April 26, 2013

Guest Blogging at Remember the Good Times - Generational Stamping

I'm sharing a tutorial on generational stamping over at my friend Lisa's blog today.

This is one of the first techniques that I learned when I started stamping, and it's an especially great technique for beginning stampers because it allows you to really stretch your supplies not to mention the fact that it is so easy!

In a nutshell, when you ink up your stamp and stamp it once, that's first generation.  Stamp again without reinking and that is second generation.  Depending on the intensity of the original color, you can stamp it a third time for a third generation image.  This image shows you the three generations of color that are created with my Outdoor Denim inkpad.




There are all sorts of ways to utilize generational stamping in your projects.  I'm sharing just a couple with you today.

In this first card, I utilized generational stamping to build the main focal image in my card.  I stamped from the outside in, starting with the largest images and the lightest color.  The added benefit is that because the darker color is on top of the the lighter layers, it actually makes the darker colors a little more saturated.



For this card I used Avery Elle's Rounded Diamonds set (which my amazing friend JJ helped to design) and another of my newest acquisitions, the Quite Like You sentiment set from WPlus9.

You can also use generational stamping to create a background, as well as to add emphasis with sentiments.  On this next card I used Little Yellow Bicycle's Everyday Words set.  I stamped 'delight' in second generation using Slate ink four times.  Then I switched to Ruby ink and stamped the sentiment again over the third word.  The great thing about this is that you don't have to be totally precise.  If your stamping isn't exactly on top of the original sentiment, it adds a little bit of shadow to your sentiment.  The second part of the sentiment is stamped in Slate in first generation.




Thanks for stopping by today!  Hope that these cards give you an idea on how you can stretch your ink colors as well as your stamps.

Since it's Anything Goes week at Simon Says Stamp, I'll be linking these up over there too. 

Supplies Used
Card 1
Paper/Cardstock:  CTMH - Outdoor Denim and White Daisy cardstock
Stamps:  Avery Elle - Rounded Diamonds; WPlus9 - Quite Like You
Ink:  CTMH - Outdoor Denim
Other:  Tombow - Mono Adhesive; CTMH - Sponge Dauber; Corner Rounder
Card 2
Paper/Cardstock:  CTMH  - Ruby and White Daisy cardstock
Stamps:  Little Yellow Bicycle - Everyday Words set
Ink:  CTMH - Ruby and Slate
Other:  Tombow - Mono Adhesive; CTMH - Sponge Dauber

16 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Miriam...LOVE the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did amazing work. Terrific tutorial. I learned some new things I want to try!! I love reading tips like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw your post over there!! LOVING your tips and your cards!! GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for putting this wonderful tutorial together and sharing it on my blog, Miriam. I know I'm excited to pull my stamps out to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful examples to go along with your technique, Miriam! Great idea to use the gray for a shadow, and bonus that you don't have to be precise : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Miriam great tutorial and LOVE your cards... congrats on guest blogging..

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEAUTIFUL cards Miriam - love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! perfect examples of the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great cards, Miriam! LOVE the layered and multiplied stamping techniques! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo I really like these - so pretty and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, they are both fabulous, Miriam! My fave has to be the first!

    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the generational stamping on both cards--awesome results!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great visit of this technique and some wonderful cards to boot! I love the word one, very fancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous CAS cards Miriam, I love the way you've used the stamps.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
    hugs
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miriam - I just happened upon this and I LOVE what you did with Rounded Diamonds. You are a creative genius!!

    ReplyDelete